Saturday, August 26, 2006

Triple Twist of Fate

“We humans, although we are unconscious of it, have the tendency to control and dominate others, We want to win the energy that exists between people.”

I experience this at work on a daily basis. I’ve just started working for a new client here in London. Not only am I getting used to a the new environment, but also a new boss, a new team, a new internal team from my own firm for this study, and the different work environment here in Britain.

At each meeting I see and sense myself and others push and pull at each others’ energy from so many different angles: intellectually, technically, politically and even culturally. The Brits can often become so subtle and esoteric, if only to trip the Americans via language and wit, that it becomes at times, unproductive and detrimental to what we’re trying to achieve. And the Americans often come across as bulls in a china shop, loud, brash, overconfident and lofty. And the Indians, part of a huge bodyshop, nod their heads in silent acquiescence in that weird movement that could be interpreted either as a shake of the head – No, or a nod of the head – Yes…which drives people crazy. Did they get it or are they clueless, everyone wonders.

And being part of all three cultures through this triple twist of fate where I was born in one, had another be a significant influence in every aspect of my education and upbringing, and having lived most of my adult life in the third… I find all my buttons pushed with my energy ebbing and flowing with every conversation and interaction as I identify with every point of view or discredit every one of them!

Peace and joy!